Thursday, May 21, 2015

Posterity or . . .

In an earlier post I talked about clearing out old mss that I was pretty sure wouldn't be published. I asked readers to let me know what they did with their mss that were moldering in a drawer or on a disk. One replied that she was saving them for posterity. This was one comment I hadn't thought of.

Like any other writer, I love opening the box from the publisher that contains the first copies of my new
book. The books sit there, pristine, perfect, and full of promise. Surely this book is the one that others will find special, brilliant, ground-breaking--if you're a writer, you recognize the fantasy. Each step in the writing/publishing process triggers the standard dreams. After my heart settles down and my feet touch the ground again, I'm just happy to know that libraries will be buying my book and standing them up on a shelf, for readers to find and, I hope, enjoy. That's the only posterity I've thought about. After that, I assume it's over for me, and I take my place in the graveyard. I even find it hard to continue after the last sentence, but I'll keep at it.

When the Houghton Library of Harvard University announced that it was acquiring John Updike's papers soon after his death, I thought, of course. He's a famous writer, perhaps the most important American writer of his generation, and a graduate of Harvard University (Class of 54). Learning how he composed and shaped his fiction and nonfiction would certainly be interesting to young writers and literary scholars. But my papers? Would a library actually want them? I don't think so, but I'm beginning to wonder if my perspective is the exception.

Over the years I have read the juvenilia of writers I have admired, but you only have to do this once, with one writer, to glean the important lesson. The early writings will show both promise and ineptness, and often throw the reader back in her chair as she marvels at how far the writer had to travel to reach his or her current heights. My reactions to early, youthful writings of later prominent voices are similar to my feelings about first novels. I might enjoy them, but I privately hope that the writer improves with experience. I have a number of favorite mystery writers who did just that.

Perhaps my lack of interest in leaving work behind for others to study and evaluate comes from an innate desire to be known for the best I can do, and not for my failures. Is it ego or vanity? Possibly one or the other, or both. Is it fear of having my old notes and unpublished mss leading to eternal humiliation? Probably. Is it laziness in not wanting to spend time organizing this old, rejected pile of material in some system that can facilitate the transfer of ownership to someone else? Definitely. Laziness for sure plays a role.

Perhaps the lack of interest in posterity has to do with a lack of ambition. I don't want to be famous. I don't want to give up privacy and freedom to move through my life, in and out of stores or restaurants, without being noticed. I don't want strangers becoming my "best new friend." One of the staff at the post office (yes, the one I wrote about recently) stood at the counter when John Updike walked in to mail something. She had waited on him before, but this time she was so flustered that she forgot several steps in the process and had to redo everything after he left. Embarrassing. For her, of course. And for a shy man, like John Updike, even more so.

I will never face these problems, and I don't want to. I have what I regard as a perfect life, and after I'm gone, my departure will make room for someone else. If anyone wants to know something about me after I'm gone, read the books.






9 comments:

  1. Hi, Susan,

    Like you, I'm not much concerned with posterity. I'd like my work published here and now. I'd also like some recognition for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Susan,

    Like you, I'm not much concerned with posterity. I'd like my work published here and now. I'd also like some recognition for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacquie, as long as people continue to buy and read my books, I'm happy.That's the recognition I want. I don't expect to win awards. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I agree with you and Jacquie. I know that some of my previous non-fiction books are in the Library of Congress, and that's enough posterity I need. I want to entertain people NOW. I've been "famous" with my non-fiction (internationally known), but the thrill of that wore off after a short while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fame (and I can only speculate here) seems to be like a terrific party. There is an afterglow, but it doesn't last very long, and I wouldn't want to spend my life going from party to party. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only reason I keep old stuff around for now is for my own entertainment. At some point I'll let it all go to the shredder or start hitting the delete key. What remains printed and on a shelf somewhere will be all there is left and once I'm gone, and I'm done having fun with writing, it really won't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sensible, Pat. I don't find my older work entertaining. Mostly it makes me cringe, and I'm glad to get rid of it. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I never think of what I will leave behind. Maybe I just don't think I have anything worth leaving. When I was a musician, I don't think it occurred to me then, either - but I was young. I can see this for writers, especially, though - whether literature or music. And for visual/video artists, too. There is something tangible. I think most other people think of their legacy in terms of money, be it philanthropy or simply leaving money to family. And, of course, being in my business of fundraising, I wish more people thought philanthropically!

    When I think back to what people have left to me for posterity, the things I find most important are the photographs and other mementos that bring back memories. Your books - your writings - will do that for someone, someday. Sadly, you might never know who...

    David

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of leaving a legacy of good feeling--photographs and other mementos that bring back memories, and certainly special books are part of that. I have plenty of those, and if mine end up in someone's shelf as a special book from years ago, that will be legacy enough for me. Thanks for adding this, David.

    ReplyDelete