Saturday, March 12, 2022

Writers and Predators


Over the last several months I've listened to a writer friend talk about the challenges of working with a small press. He's an excellent writer and tells gritty stories based on his experience as a lawyer. I wasn't surprised that he was able to sell his novel, as hard as it is today to get published, but the press that picked him up has turned a high moment in his life into a nightmare.

This post isn't about how bad a predatory press can be when the purpose of the offer is to reel in a new writer who will be pushed and prodded and almost forced into hiring their editors to "fix" and "finish" and "polish" his novel. Before signing with them, the writer did everything he knew he should do, talking with others published by this press, reading the contract carefully, and considering other possibilities. He knew I was skeptical, and I understood how much this meant to him. After signing, he approached the entire process professionally, met all the deadlines despite the editor's tightening the screws on him. Near the end he had to face down a patently illegal rights grab, and did so. But in the end, the experience was worse than anything he could have imagined. (Well, maybe not. He's got a pretty good imagination.)

 

The reason I'm talking about the experience here is because on my FB page another new writer announced with great joy that she had just signed with the same press for her first novel. She's over the moon. She's not someone I know personally—I only see her comments occasionally on my page—but all I could think about was what was in store for her. Since many writers are beaten down by a bullying "editor" in one of these predatory outfits, I wondered if she'd stand up to them, meet the absurd deadlines for rewrites, etc., or cave in and pay for their "editors" to do the work. The goal of many of these small "presses" is to get income from writers, not to publish and promote work so that the writer earns royalties.

 

This country is full of people preying on writers. Every week I get a few "offers" from PR outfits who have found my second or third or tenth novel on the web and want me to know that this book is just ripe for a break-out—with their help, of course. I also hear from "editors" who are expanding their line and my books seem just "perfect" for their house. I'm sure they have cousins in Nigeria or wherever those generous people live who want to give me a few million dollars just for helping them out with my banking information.

 

I did not contact the second writer in question and tell her what I knew about the press. I've thought about this, and I don't know if I am right or wrong. She has signed the contract, so she's committed. But my heart goes out to her knowing what she's about to experience.

 

So, two rules if you are a writer looking for a publishing house.

 

First, the publisher gives you money and pays you royalties. The publisher pays for the editor, proofreader, designer, and publicist. You do not pay them and you do not do their work for them.

 

Second, if you are thinking of signing (or have signed) with a small press, visit Writer Beware (link below), type in the name, and read everything that comes up. If what you find concerns you, be prepared. Get out of your contract if you can. Otherwise, be ready to write fast, sometimes needlessly, to meet absurd deadlines. And don't expect any warm and fuzzy lunches with your "editor."

 

And if you're a traditionally published writer or successfully published indie writer, I have a question for you. Would you have contacted the woman who had just signed and told her what you know?  Let me know what you think.

 

https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/

 

In the future, after they finish their new site, also check out Preditors and Editors. Follow their progress on FB. 

 

https://www.facebook.com/prededitors/

6 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Excellent advice! I think writers should always insist on an advance against royalties. This shows good faith on the part of a publisher. Also, writers should never have to pay to be published. There are so many scams. Sometimes, it's best not to accept a contract if it isn't right. I've learned myself the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacquie, thanks for your comment. We've all faced these scams, and I understand that it's hard to turn down what we hope is a "legitimate" offer. But sometimes it's best. This is a hard lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for this. I am so grateful for my publishers: Augsburg Fortress and Wipf and Stock. Clear contracts. Clear communication and contact names and email addresses all given and secure. Also clear royalty statements every year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found honest publishers, Lyn. It sounds like your team is doing exactly what they should be doing. I wish there were more of them.

      Delete
  4. Wise advice, Susan. We can never be cautious enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember any of these worries when I started out in the 1980s and 1990s.

      Delete