Friday, March 6, 2020

My New Book List

My current project is to read one work of fiction by a woman from each nation: that would mean books by 197 women in countries recognized by the UN and several more by women from Indian nations (Apache, etc.) if I can find them. That's a lot of books.
If I'd begun this project several years ago, I'd have far fewer nations to deal with. Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia would still be intact, but German is now united. I could have done one book for the USSR, which might have pleased Moscow (something that seems to be of great concern among some folks here in the US of A) but would probably have been cheating. Finding books by writers in the many countries now out from under the yoke of the Russians might be challenging, but Latina writers are coming into their own--writing great stories in seductive language. 
As for language, most of the books so far (and there are not that many yet) are in English translations, and that's a key point for me. Unless English is one of the recognized languages of the nation's government, I prefer books written in the language of the nation and then translated into English. I'm not looking for stories written for American or British readers. I'm looking for literature that has emerged from and is directed to the people of the author's country. 
Since I'm a mystery writer, the first question might be, will I read only mysteries? That might be fun, but the answer has to be no. That is likely to be too limiting, since writing crime fiction means adopting a form developed in the West, though it is imitated now throughout the world. I hope to read some, but mostly I'm looking for texts that are popular or well respected in their country of origin.
The other challenge, which I may not be able to overcome, is to find literature in countries that have recently endured great upheaval. A woman writer in Afghanistan may face huge obstacles in getting published. Ex-pat writers living in parts of the Middle East may dominate my list for that region if I can find them. 
I've only begun this project, so I'm eager to receive suggestions for authors and titles. If you've read something that fits my criteria (and they are as loose as I can make them), please send it on. You may introduce me to a new favorite author.

No comments:

Post a Comment